Hamas War

Friday, April 2, 2010

Shiloh, Our Heritage

The Israeli Government is no expert in history, especially Jewish History.  Shiloh is a very important city, and thousands of Israelis young and old came here during Passover.  So, it's not on the official "Heritage Trail."  Shiloh is in the Bible, very central in the development of Jewish History.

The Mishkan, Tabernacle, was in Shiloh for 369 years, from Joshua to Samuel.  Shiloh was the official site for Jewish worship and the administrative capital before King David established Jerusalem, and before King Solomon built the Holy Temple.

And in recent years it's a very popular tourist spot, especially for the festival activities we've been offering during Passover and Succot.

Here are a few pictures from the this year's Passover Festival.








Tel Shiloh is open to tourists, for parties and events all year long.  For more information contact telshilo@gmail.com

7 comments:

Mr. Gerson said...

Hi Batya,

I want to take one of my friends on his first trip to Israel... so he can see the place he reads in the news with his own eyes. What do you think is a good thing to do?

I was thinking of perhaps a hiking tour from the north to the south... and ending up back in Tel Aviv for a more traditional wind-down with some night life. Do you think that's a good idea?

I didn't know I had been to Shiloh before, but from the pictures it looks like I did when I was on Israel Tour!

- S

Keli Ata said...

Beautiful pictures! I especially like 3 and 4 (from the top).


The tabernacle was in Shiloh 369 years...

3+6+9=18. I never noticed that before.

Batya said...

Keli, interesting math.

Mr. Gerson, I don't know how long you have. Israel is small, but it would take a while. It's probably best to check out specific areas and see what's availble, so it's learning, not just hiking.

JDL London Canada said...

Hey, I didn't know you had donkey/cart rides my daughter would have loved it ... next time :)

Batya said...

Some homeschooled kids run it.

JDL London Canada said...

Cool, next trip we take a ride.

Batya said...

I'm sure it can be arranged.